Year 5 11+ Meeting Notes
What is the 11+?
The 11+ is a series of tests sat by children to gain a place in year 7 at several local schools. The purpose of the 11+ test is to select the children who have the potential to thrive in an environment which provides a highly academic curriculum and a range of challenging pursuits.
- 60 minutes plus 10 minutes reading time
- 60 marks
Weighted 50% each
Not age standardised No verbal Reasoning Tests are deliberately hard
Is a place at one of these schools the right choice for my child?
- Curiosity, enjoyment of learning and problem solving
- Perseverance and completion of challenging tasks
- Understanding of all concepts taught at primary school
- Enjoyment of a wide range of literature and/or non-fiction texts
- Creativity in sustained writing
- Ability to make connections between various areas of knowledge
- Good memory
- Imagination and original ideas
- Ability to work at pace and assimilate information quickly
Headteachers of CSSE Schools believe that children should also:
- Have a sound understanding of the National Curriculum in maths and English (secure)
- Be familiar with reading and responding to texts which require a reading age of greater than 11
- Understand the rudiments of spelling, grammar and punctuation
To tutor or not to tutor?
Whilst it is advisable for children to spend a few hours familiarising themselves with the style of responses required in the papers, this can be done at home, using materials that are available.
- June/July – CSSE Schools Open Days
- 4th May – CSSE registration opens
- 21st July – Deadline to register for the 11+
- 23rd September 2017 – 11+ test
- 16th October – results sent out
- 31st October – applications for secondary school places made to the Local Authority
- 1st March 2018 – National Offer Day
Reading – Project Gutenberg – free classic texts
Vocabulary – Word Dynamo and Vocabulary.com
Maths – Centre for Innovation in Mathematical Teaching (CIMT) – Book 7
Maths – My Maths or BBC Bitesize
How we will help
- Mrs Farrell will be leading an English 11+ club
- Starts after Easter
- Ms Lothian will be leading a maths 11+ club
- Starts after Easter
Letters will be sent out in the next few weeks to register an interest in taking the tests and attending our clubs. Please note – these are familiarisation sessions and not extra lessons
11+ Pod – Mock exams. Please see additional leaflets.
Either contact Mr Goddard or CSSE directly on 01245 348257 or check on their website.